You’re starting to get stir crazy so you finally declare, “I need a vacation!” So where do you start? The truth is that many vacations take months of prep work before you arrive at your destination. Keeping all those details in order can take a great checklist.
The Early Planning Checklist
- Begin researching flights as early as 4-6 months before departure
- Begin researching hotels, rental condos, or your favorite accommodation
- Start researching the area you will be traveling to including customs, biggest attractions, favorite activities, necessary documents or vaccinations
- Start your Vacation travel folder. All of your research, tickets, and reservation confirmations go here. Tape your checklist to the front to keep yourself on task!
Two Months from Departure Checklist
- Make plans for your pets. Line up a kennel or cat sitter.
- Stock up on supplies. Don’t buy your travel containers/products the night before you leave. Want to know what you’ll need to pack? Find your checklist here.
- Confirm you have the necessary vaccinations, and that your prescriptions are current.
- Finish making any reservations you have not already made
Less Than a Month from Departure Checklist
- Fill your prescriptions
- Get looking good: Schedule haircut, waxing, manicure, pedicure
- Prep your camera equipment. Buy extra batteries and memory cards.
- Call the bank and let them know you will be using your card out of area
- Make sure a trusted friend has your contact information
- Confirm your reservations
- Schedule your mail and newspaper to be put on hold while you are gone
The Week Before You Depart Checklist
- Clean out your fridge and pantry of things that will spoil
- Make final arrangement confirmations for your pet
- Check the weather, change packing plans as necessary
- Make sure your bills are paid
- Start packing
- Organize your Vacation travel folder
- Prepare your home for your departure. Set up automatic lights, water houseplants, move valuables to safe locations.
Time to Leave!
- Make sure you have unplugged all irons, hair tools, turned off the stove ect.
- Look through the refrigerator and pantry for items that may spoil once more
- Take out the garbage and recycling
- Turn down the temperature on your water heater
- Set alarms, lock doors, close your garage door
Now go have a great vacation! Planning ahead of time whether you are traveling abroad or upstate is crucial. When you know you have done your research and followed a checklist you’ll feel relaxed and happy as you set out on your trip.
What is a necessity on your planning checklist?